I originally divided one of the hard disks in my Windows Server 2003 computer into four parts: system partition, data partitions E and F, and some unallocated space. Lacking professional computer knowledge, the unreasonable disk partitioning makes me suffer, especially when I need to install some necessary application programs to partition C. Therefore, I decide to enlarge partition C on Windows Server 2003. Is there any useful suggestion for me?
Increase Partition Size Windows 2003
As is well known, users can use disk management tool and command in Windows operating systems to manage disk partition. However, Windows Server 2003 always disappoints users. Why do we say so? The following are two partition management solutions provided by the system:
Case A: Disk Management tool
Users can open Disk Management tool by click under Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.
After entering the Disk Management tool, users will view the detailed information about all disks and drives. Here, choose the system partition and right click it. From the pop-up menu, we can see only several basic management functions are activated, and there is no function to extend partition. And the feature Extend Volume which works under specified circumstances is available after Windows 2003.
Case B: "Diskpart" command
1. Click Start button > Run and enter "cmd" to open command prompt tool.
2. Input "diskpart" order in command prompt tool.
3. Input "list volume" order to show all the partitions in computer disk.
4. Input "select volume X" (X represents partition number shown in step 2) to select target partition to extend.
5. Input "extend" order to extend partition.
As it presents, the operation to extend system partition by using "diskpart" command is failed after all complicated steps are done. Obviously the two solutions are not useful to extend Windows 2003 system partition. Thus, users are recommended to use third-party partition magic server MiniTool Partition Wizard Server Edition.
Use Server Partition Magic to Extend Partition
After downloading and installing the software to computer, launch it to open its main interface.
1. In mapping area, choose system partition – C: drive to be extended and click "Extend Partition" function in left action panel.
2. In this interface, choose an unallocated space or a partition with much unused space left from "Take Free Space from" tab. Then, drag the sliding handle to take free space. After operations are done, click "OK" button to return to main interface of MiniTool Partition Wizard Server Edition.
3. Here, users can find that the chosen C: drive has been enlarged, but it is only preview effect. To apply the effect, users need to click "Apply" button in the upper left corner.
MiniTool Partition Wizard has successfully finished partition C expansion under Windows Server 2003 within few steps. If users also need to perform this operation, hurry to download the software.